market-farming - [Market-farming] tray cleaning

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Pat Rupiper" <arupiper AT bright.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] tray cleaning
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 05:30:32 -0500

For the trays with the white gunk, try white vinegar. It works great. Put in spray bottle, spray undersides etc, let sit, then hose off. It should kill the spiders, loosen the gunk, and leave things a lot cleaner. Just soak in fresh water after processing. If doing inside, I use a bathtub. Harder on the back, easier to dunk! Try to get the worst dirt off first as that clogs the drains. It is time consuming. I read somewhere that if you take the net bag material that comes around onions, etc and scrunch it up, it makes a great scrubby. Cheap and fits everywhere.
For germination I use heat mats. They are expensive but I have been using for several years now. After the initial pop up faze, I have a heat tape sunk in sand in the greenhouse. We made a 3ft x 6ft x 6in box, wired the tape to hardware cloth, then dumped on 4 inches of sandbox sand. My husband made a lid that is covered in plastic that adds another few inches in height. This is great as it keeps the tropical warm but allows me to move them out of the house sooner. That way the lid can be lowered at night and they can slowly harden. Last year we had a hard frost the 3rd week in May. I was glad the plants were still in the bed. They stay in trays with drainage holes. My greenhouse is unheated and this is a great compromise.
Pat