market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tray cleaning/ germinating seed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tray cleaning/ germinating seed
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:14:23 -0500

I find it easier to throw the trays away after each use, it all depends on how much time you have to spend on cleaning trays. I have tried laying trays on the greenhouse bench in the evening wetting them down then applying a disinfectant called Triathlon through my fertilizer injector at 100 ppm, they stay wet all night this seems to kill off any disease.
Pro grow electric heating mats work the best for germinating seed, one unit will cost you around $180 but will last forever. One mat holds 5 germination trays enough to germinate 5000 seeds without crowding seed. I put slower germ seed like pepper and eggplant on the mat then put a second layer of germinating trays of fast germinating seeds like tomatoes on top of them. I have even put three layers of germinating trays stacked on one mat covering the whole thing with a sheet of poly. ..Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

Pat Rupiper wrote:

For the trays with the white gunk, try white vinegar. It works great. Put in spray bottle, spray undersides etc, let sit, then hose off. It should kill the spiders, loosen the gunk, and leave things a lot cleaner. Just soak in fresh water after processing. If doing inside, I use a bathtub. Harder on the back, easier to dunk! Try to get the worst dirt off first as that clogs the drains. It is time consuming. I read somewhere that if you take the net bag material that comes around onions, etc and scrunch it up, it makes a great scrubby. Cheap and fits everywhere.For germination I use heat mats. They are expensive but I have been using for several years now. After the initial pop up faze, I have a heat tape sunk in sand in the greenhouse. We made a 3ft x 6ft x 6in box, wired the tape to hardware cloth, then dumped on 4 inches of sandbox sand. My husband made a lid that is covered in plastic that adds another few inches in height. This is great as it keeps the tropical warm but allows me to move them out of the house sooner. That way the lid can be lowered at night and they can slowly harden. Last year we had a hard frost the 3rd week in May. I was glad the plants were still in the bed. They stay in trays with drainage holes. My greenhouse is unheated and this is a great compromise.Pat