market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Winter sowing red clover

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Winter sowing red clover
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 22:04:46 -0500

Hi Chris,

It's not just red clover, it's any clover. Makes them salivate like crazy,
they don't colic from it. They love it and my fields have very little of
it, so I just let it go. I can always tell in the mornings when they've had
a clover-fest....they all drool like crazy. That's normal for most clovers,
and the extent of the problem, but there's one, alsike I think, that can
cause skin lesions, loss of appetite & body condition, & neurological
problems.

Most horses, unless very hungry or the curious type, know to stay away from
natural toxicants.

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC