market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Pet food and rabbits

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: CAVM AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Pet food and rabbits
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 12:25:30 EST

Kevin,  Rabbits do make good food but not only for pets.  There is a thriving industry producing rabbits for human food.

For your reptile food you might consider Black Soldier Fly larvae.  Eggs are placed in organic material of your choice. The larvae hatch, eat the organic material and molt into pre-pupae.  These pre-pupae don't have a mouth, they don't eat, they only want to climb.  A slant board in the feed bin lets them climb up and fall into a bucket for you.

The other great thing is that they will thrive on some materials your neighbors may be very glad to get rid of.  Plus the adults don't live indoors so they don't add to your housefly problem.  In fact, house flies will not lay eggs where BSF eggs already are.

Analysis of Dried Soldier Fly Larvae

*42.1% crude protein

*34.8% ether extract (lipids)

*7.0% crude fiber

*7.9% moisture

*1.4% nitrogen free extract (NFE)

 *14.6% ash

*5.0% calcium

*1.5% phosphorus

Source: Newton, Booram, Barker & Hale, 1977

Neal Van Milligen
Kentucky Enrichment Inc

www.kentuckyenrichment.com

My other business and the one that has supported us for 8 years is selling
reptiles at shows and to pet stores. Raising rabbits can work well for this
use, there is steady demand and they need all sizes. Also a person can raise
feeder mice and rats . We don't do any of those because I am trying to
diversify but there is a market there.God Bless,
Kevin Miller

  • [Market-farming] Re: Pet food and rabbits, CAVM, 12/31/2003