market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] conferences & calendar events

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Guillermo Payet <gpayet AT localharvest.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] conferences & calendar events
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:32:30 -0800

> thanks Guillermo (uh, did the snake come from a member farm?? ; )))

Oh yes, and as you can see, it was fed the best and healthiest cows!

> I think the link you meant to post is to localharvest.org. Btw, how's site
> traffic with all the mad cow news??

We're seeing about a 10 fold increase in the number of people searching for
"beef" on the website. I hear that a lot of our members are getting new
clients, and we've had about 10 beef growers sign up into our website these
last 3 days.

Some Pittsburgh TV channel talked about the safety of Grass-Fed Beef a couple
of days ago, and as a result our members in the area have gotten lots and
lots of inquiries.

> Sounds like opportunity ringing for
> small farmers everywhere. Now's the time to get marketing plans in
> place...BUY LOCAL is more important than ever!!

It's funny how most of the mainstream news on this is really just PR industry
generated spin-control, paid by the big beef industry guys. (and the USDA
mostly
works for them nowadays too, unfortunately)

The *real* questions of how safe are our beef raising methods are not being
addressed much, and we're tossed all this red herrings of "the cow came from
Canada", "the brains and eyeballs were not sold", etc. etc.

It's sad that we have this problem, but there is certainly a silver lining
of increased demand for small-scale/organic alternatives. One of our members
suggested that we be very vigilant, because the big guys might want to try
to use this as an oportunity to squeeze the small producers, as in passing
laws requiring testing that can only be done with very expensive machines,
or things like that. Just something to consider.

--G

--
Guillermo Payet
L O C A L H A R V E S T