market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Heaters

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: CAVM AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Heaters
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:10:56 EST

As many of you have said, there are several ways to heat a greenhouse.  I agree that a small greenhouse could be well heated with a home made wood stove using fire brick lining and a concrete block exterior.  Put in black pipe to heat water which is sent to an old water tank which has been insulated and you have a reservoir of hot water.

If you prefer something more sophisticated and less trouble, you might try a used motor oil or diesel fueled boiler built by Anthony Taylor.  He can be reached at

His used motor oil boiler can use motor oil from your local garage or regular home heating oil (diesel).  It is mush more economical than others on the market.  Anthony assisted me when I made a presentation to the Southern Greenhouse Owners Association last year on heating, cooling and ventilating a greenhouse.

Anthony is an HVAC engineer and skilled enough to design a zone heating system for your greenhouse whether you want heated water in hydroponics or the air heated.  He can also design your system so that you can put cooling water through the same coils in the summer to take a good deal of the heat out of the greenhouse.

BTW, you would be surprised at how many ways there are to keep a greenhouse cool in the summer.

If you prefer a biomass fueled system consider the Black Jack biomass combustion boiler system. This unit can burn a wide variety of biomass and can have a used motor oil backup included. It is designed and produced by Les Blevins of Lawrence, Kansas.  He can be reached via

Many things can be done.

Neal Van Milligen
Kentucky Enrichment Inc.

  • [Market-farming] Re: Heaters, CAVM, 12/23/2003