market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Canning...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "C. DeBerry" <deberryfarm AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Canning...
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 06:36:00 -0800 (PST)

This subject is near and dear to my heart, since I work in a University Extension Office, where people come to for help in canning techniques.

If you do a quick google (or other) search on "home canned meat" or something similar you will get lots of resources from cooperative extension services in various states.  They ALL say to pressure can meat (Lots of info about Botulism and other extremely nasty critters in improperly canned foods like meat and beans).

It's better to invest in a good pressure canner than risk your health, in my opinion.  Also, our extension office will even test people's guage pressure canners (if you buy a used one) for accuracy.  You can get replacement seals from the company, usually.

Good luck!
Cheryl DeBerry
DeBerry Farm
www.DeBerryFarm.com

Courtney McLeod <cmcleod AT imscompany.com> wrote:
I know you are able to can beef and beef products.....  I am being told that I have to pressure seal it and I don't have the means to do it that way.

Do you Yahoo!?