market-farming - [Market-farming] pressure cooker frying.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Paul A. Bock" <bockpa AT plesh.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] pressure cooker frying.
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:14:00 -0500

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 14:47:07 -0500, you wrote:

>>Hey, speaking of pressure cookers, I recently found out on the www.kfc.com
>>that they fry their chicken in pressure cookers. new one on me.
>
>Don't try this at home! They have special equipment.
>
>Pressure cookers intended for home use are NOT safe for
>deep-frying - superheated oil exploding at one's face
>wouldn't be a joke.
>
>Pat

Good point!

I will add my engineering thoughts to this. When you pressure cook with
water, the crude, weight-type pressure regulator is letting out little
spurts of steam, read vaporized water. If you fried oil in a pressure
cooker, you may get spurts of vaporized oil. Oil is a hydrocarbon, so it
natural gas. Vaporized oil is a gas. Would you leave an unlit burner
turned on, spewing unburned gas, while another burner or pilot light was
also on? The vaporized oil could be very flammable. In fact you might get
it hot enough in the cooker so that when it leaves the cooker it is already
hot enough to ignite itself as soon as it is exposed to oxygen. Or worse it
could explode inside the cooker with the oxygen inside the cooker.

Not to mention how hot the cooker would get. normal water, at sea level,
boils at 212F, a pressure cooker lets you cook under 5, 10, 15 psi. At 15
psi the water boils at 260F. A normal fryer fries at 350F or higher. Oil
under pressure would fry a lot hotter. The rubber seals and emergency plug
would degrade before they got to say 400 or so.

Paul Bock
Stone Gully

  • [Market-farming] pressure cooker frying., Paul A. Bock, 12/10/2003