market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] update on deer fencing article

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] update on deer fencing article
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 11:56:14 -0600

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 12:36:29PM -0500, Goodaim AT aol.com wrote:
> Just to let others know, we looked into the sloping deer fence from
> Gallagher this spring. We also know farmers who have 100% control with this
> fence, but the prices in our area have risen dramatically. Gallagher uses
> subcontractors to install these fences, and the contractor who came to our
> farm gave
> us a quote of $12,000 to fence in a 12 acre area. This was much greater
> than we
> expected, so we opted for the Premiere Sheep Supplies Deer Fence instead.
> It
> definitely is not as fullproof as the Gallagher Fence, but does give us
> about
> 80% control in an area of southeastern Pennsylvania with some of the most
> dense deer populations in the country. The Premiere Fence cost us about
> $2700 for
> the same area. The sloping fence is definitely effective, and worth looking
> into, but be aware that some contractors may be charging very high prices
> for
> installation.

As I posted several months ago, I had a Gallagher contractor put up a
vertical electric fence mostly inside an existing barbed wire fence.
Cost was a bit more than $1/foot. As I recall, about 8-9K feet
enclosing about 40-50 acres, about $11K. 100% deer exclusion. So far.
I did have one deer, that had come in through an open gate, jump the
fence as I was shooting at it. My fence contractor was very reasonable
and did very high quality work.
http://austinfarm.org/homegrown/images

I suggested a slanted fence to the local Gallagher people, but they
didn't know anything about it and I accepted their proposal for a dual
fence. Both types depend on deer reluctance to jump a barrier of
width 30"-36". This fence allowed me to produce a decent pea crop this
year for the first time in several years.

--
Willie, ashamed that dixie chicks are from Austin
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html