market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Local Food

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Local Food
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 05:10:00 -0400

> I don't think the debate should be framed in terms of local or organic
> food - instead I think it should be framed in terms of local AND organic
> food.

While I agree with this, many "organic" farmers are no longer certified.
One of their last marketing opportunities is to push "Buy Local" which is
much easier to sell than "buy local organic". For whatever reason, people
seem to be more sympathetic to the transportation/fossil fuel debate than
the organic one. At least they are around here.

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC
http://www.marketfarming.com