market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Baby greens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: russandrosie <russandrosie AT comcast.net>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Baby greens
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 23:27:36 -0700

As I mentioned I am still in the experimental stage and haven't done
full-scale production yet. That said, I think that I get about one pound
per tray. I'm afraid I've forgotten. I fill the tray (the kind without
dividers) to within a half inch or so of the top and sprinkle on approx. 60
seeds. (I'm unsure of the meaning of "10 20 flat.") If you found a
time-economical way of seeding every two inches, that would be ideal.
Otherwise, broadcasting works fine, just resist the temptation to sow too
many seeds; the plants get crowded and don't grow well, of course.
With lettuce seed, I don't cover with potting mix. You can if you want to,
but I don't to save time.
I don't vary the seeding rate, although if I grow thru the winter I may
have to pay attention to that. The time to harvest will vary, of course,
with the "28 days" being under prime conditions.

Rosie
Tanglewood Farm
PNW