market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Mizuna

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ken Bezilla" <kenbez AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Mizuna
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 15:04:51 +0000

Mizuna (especially the frilly variety that most folks grow in the spring and summer) is the least-hardy myustard variety for the fall. There's a thicker, less frilly version of mizuna -- "mibuna"? -- that FedCo used to carry that holds up to frost better.

I've found tat soi to be the most cold hardy mustard -- the leaves are tougher, and since it grows closer to the ground, it's easier to cover up.

Cilantro I've usually found to be hardy to 15 degrees. Younger cilantro handles the cold better than older cilantro, so here in Missouri (zone 6b, average first frost 10/15) we plant a batch of "older" cilantro on 9/15; we harvest that crop in the fall, but its larger leaves get more damage during the winter and we have to wait for fresh growth in the spring to harvest it again. We plant a batch of "younger" cilantro 10/1, and with its smaller leaves, it survives winter in much better shape.

Ken Bezilla
East Wind
southern Missouri, zone 6b

Need more e-mail storage? Get 10MB with Hotmail Extra Storage. http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es