market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: 6' tall marigolds, no flowers... yet

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Steve Diver <steved AT ncat.org>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: 6' tall marigolds, no flowers... yet
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:38:18 -0500

Just this summer one of the old time vegetable producers
explained how they finally got out of vegetables and
row crops, switching to cattle and hay. They had a field
full of green beans, and they ran tether lines between poles with
big dogs hooked up. They came back the next morning, and
found the deer had eaten down the crop of green beans, walking
just out of the reach of lunging, barking dogs on the end of a leash.

One of the nearby market farms relies on an 8' foot deer fence,
and that is what I'm hoping to avoid.
I keep telling my dog to stay close and protect the
garden, but Pokey just looks at me with that curious
Sharpei look.

Steve Diver