market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: 6' tall marigolds, no flowers... yet

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Steve Diver <steved AT ncat.org>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: 6' tall marigolds, no flowers... yet
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:58:21 -0500

Interesting, those Tagetes minuta plants started flowering shortly
after I wrote that email a couple weeks ago.

They have non-showy yellow tubular flowers with tiny, white florets.

California Dept of Food & Agriculture has a few flower pics
on their noxious weeds page, "EncycloWeedia"
http://pi.cdfa.ca.gov/weedinfo/Wildmarigoldfram.html

Some of the tallest plants are now 7'-8'. But the
fall rains loosened the soil and they are susceptible to
tipping over from their own weight.
They were intercropped amongst vegetables and flowers,
with no apparent hindrance to crop growth.
We have 3-5 more weeks of frost-free weather, so I expect
to get some seed for next year.
One web site said that Tagetes minuta can deter deer.
Well, it may be true that deer won't eat Tagetes minuta,,
but this morning I noticed deer tracks going right past the
Tagetes.... and then I noticed the foliage on my new Chandler
strawberry plants (August transplants) had been eaten back,
along with the tops of a few bush bean plants.
Sadly, those strawberry transplants had started putting on new
leaf growth and sending out runners.
So far, I've been lucky with no deer damage. I attribute that to
my Shapei mix dog that runs out and barks anytime animals
or cars approach my farm property. But I've been gone a lot lately,
and my dog wanders around the countryside when I'm not there.

Steve Diver