market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Garlic proves the kiss of death to slugs and snails

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Roger Weeks" <rjw AT sonic.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Garlic proves the kiss of death to slugs and snails
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 08:34:19 -0700

I've been using a recipe from to make my own small amounts of garlic spray.
I've adjusted the amounts x5 and x10 with the same results:

Soak 3 ounces of finely minced garlic in 2 tablespoons of mineral oil for 24
hours.
(Use a food processor for the garlic - and leave the paper on, it will get
strained out)
After 24 hours, add 1 pint of water and 1/4 ounce of liquid soap.
Strain through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth, and compost the garlic.
Store liquid in a glass or stainless steel container. Plastic or other
metals will retain the garlic odor. Liquid stores well in the fridge - make
sure you have an airtight container!

Use mixture at a rate of 1 or 2 tablespoons to a pint of water.

I got this recipe from a book titled "Chemical-Free Yard & Garden". They
say the recipe was developed at the Henry Doubleday Research Association in
England.

I have found this spray to be the only effective control for earwigs in my
northern California climate. Our long wet cool spring seemed to make this a
bumper year for earwigs. The only way I could keep them under control was
to spray this directly on them at night. Nothing like going out in your
fields with a miner's helmet light on at 11pm to find the earwigs!

For slugs and snails, I don't see why you would need to keep the soap in the
recipe.

Roger Weeks
Weeks Gardens
Sebastopol, CA