market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] 6' tall marigolds, no flowers... yet

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] 6' tall marigolds, no flowers... yet
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:37:13 -0400

Steve wrote:

The seedlings came from Tulsa, where a market
gardener sells African marigold seedlings for nematode
control.

A-Ha! Nematode control is totally different from flowering -- it's the extrudations (what a word! ;-)) from the roots that keep the nematodes away, so flowers are not an issue (at least from the standpoint of nematode control).

I have some seeds from SOC, but didn't plant them this year. Check out this URL to see if this is what you've got.

http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_center/product_details.asp?UID=2003091206005983&item_no=PS15493

My sister swears they do not flower, yet she had dozens
of seedlings sprouting in her yard the year after she grew
these plants.

According to the SOC blurb, it reseeds like crazy.

My horticulture friend in Tulsa says the
flowers are "inconspicuous."

Yep. Tiny little flowers -- don't look like what one expects from marigolds.

I'm hoping the shorter days and cooler nights will
initiate flowering.

I'd go out there with a hand glass and see if you really do have flowers.

I'd like to get some seed and use
these for hedgerows and permaculture plantings.
They could also be used as an intercrop, with plants
that like shade.

I've always found that marigolds transplant easily -- even if you don't get seed per se, if you can recognize the seedlings, you can probably put them where you want them and have them reseed there forever.

The plants seem to be very drought tolerant.

Most marigolds seem to be.

What I really want are the tallest flowering marigolds
that exist.

Sorry, don't know where to find these -- but I personally love http://vivisimo.com/ as a search engine for plant stuff. Enter a scientific name and have fun!

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of