market-farming - [Market-farming] Pinching questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HoeManGray AT aol.com
  • To: Market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Pinching questions
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 01:46:55 EDT

I need a bit of help with pinching on certain annuals. Do you pinch
lisianthus and stock? I love them, but it seems that even using plugs, you
may only
get two cuttings. I know to pinch zinnias, snaps, larkspur, cosmos, and
marigolds. Just curious about these.

Also, any advice on growing annual asters (China/Matsumoto) and amaranthus
(all types? I've tried by seed, starting seed and transplanting, and am not
consistently successful, they seem to take weeks to germinate!

I suspect it's my soil, it's fairly heavy clay, with compost, sand, and
manure being added each year, so, it's taking some time to "lighten up."

Thanks,
Wendy - Cutflowers For You
(Oregon - Hood River Valley)