market-farming - [Market-farming] Re:low income/low prices

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mary Whitney" <mary AT whitneysorchard.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re:low income/low prices
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 18:10:52 -0700

Here in Washington state there are 2 wonderful programs that have been
promoted. The first is a WIC (Women, infants and children) program for
farmer's markets. It is not even an income based program that I know of, but
each person that applies received an amount of WIC checks that re to be use
ONLY at a farmer's market for farm fresh produce. That has been a highly
successful program for both the customer and the farmer. Last year I was in
a pilot program at the Woodinville Farmer's market for a WIC type program for
senior citizens. I believe there is some income based criteria for this, but
I don't know for certain. The pilot program last year was sooo succesful
that it was made a regular program right along side the WIC program. It had
almost a 100% return on the money given out last year.

If you state doesn't have such a program maybe it would be something to ask
your market managers to look into starting.

What do you do with your leftover produce?? We started our own food
distribution program with local families that were in need. We give it to
them and some of them in turn give to the needy families around them. What
they can't use goes to the local Union Gospel Mission.

Mary Whitney

--
www.whitneysorchard.com
SweetBriar Rabbits - Fryers available

--

  • [Market-farming] Re:low income/low prices, Mary Whitney, 09/01/2003