market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] ??/ sweet corn prices

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Steve Sando" <steve AT mrlucky.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] ??/ sweet corn prices
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 07:31:12 -0700

At the markets, 3 for a buck seems pretty standard in Northern CA and at the
grocery store it's often 4 for a dollar to 10 for a dollar.

I have noticed more people are asking for a more "corn" taste as opposed to
just sweet. Some of the sweet cobs I've tried are almost overdone in their
sweetness and lack real corn flavor.

I don't enjoy growing corn and I like selling it even less, since the trend
is to have the customers partially shuck it at the stand, looking for gosh
knows what. I'm looking to sell corn meal or pozole from what I don't eat
myself instead of selling it fresh.

Steve Sando
Specialty Produce from Napa: www.ranchogordo.com