market-farming - [Market-farming] Pick the best

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Pick the best
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:45:40 -0400

"Pick the Best leave the Rest". Im sure you all heard that before. I was
told that by a sweet corn grower from Accord NY many years ago when I
started out. Actually he said Pick the best and I'll eat the rest.
Everyone wants to cash in on early sweet corn, and the local folks are
desperate for fresh picked corn. This year we were delayed by foul
weather but our biggest problem has been corn borer. They over winter
and we get two generations. The first generation was the worst we have
seen in years, the borers go from the stalk directly into the ear with
no chance to get at them with pesticides.
Local growers are selling the corn as is, with the worm damage and
because of the weather they have short ears with poor tip fill. I have
heard complaints from people about the poor quality.
I have the same problems with my early corn, I took the old farmers
advise and shut down my market and bush hogged my early corn. I may have
lost about $3000 in income but at least nobody can say I sell poor
quality corn. This weekend my second early corn will be ready and it
looks fantastic.
People will remember you for your quality but will never forgive you for
selling poor quality stuff....Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.