market-farming - [Market-farming] tips for pregnant farmers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Amy K. Johnson" <akjedj AT access4cheap.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] tips for pregnant farmers
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:58:20 -0700

Dear List;

Just wanted to let you all know that your input about working on the farm
has been really helpful and reassuring.

I also wanted to let you know that you've helped more than me. I've had two
other women email me privately wondering about the same topic and were glad
that I had brought it up.

To sum up the advice I got: Get plenty of rest, stay well hydrated, don't
get overheated, get a toxoplasmosis test so you don't have to worry about it
if you've already been exposed. A nurse at the office where I was to see the
midwife told me to wear gloves while working in the soil (because of
toxoplasmosis, but didn't seem to think I really needed the toxo. test, even
though I'm going to insist on it), and to not lift more than 20lbs. I'm
going to assume that 1) she's being very cautious 2) that her guidelines are
for women who don't usually do hard manual labor. I've also been told that
women have been doing this farming and pregnancy thing for centuries, and
not to worry, just use common sense.

So now I'm wondering how much CSA can I manage next year with a newborn. I
think I might have to cut the membership in half and start a few weeks
later? The momentum for my CSA is really going well, but I don't want to
blow it by taking on too much. Not to mention my child is more important
than the farm, even though I don't think I have to give up one for the
other, just find a balance.

Since I recieved this advice, I've stopped lifting the 100 pound sacks of
chicken feed, decided that I won't use the rear cultivator on the Allis G as
they take too much strength and a twisting position (they're not hydraulic),
and I think I won't be slaughtering my extra roosters myself.

Gotta go get some sleep,
Amy K. Johnson
Johnson's Produce Patch
Long Island VA

  • [Market-farming] tips for pregnant farmers, Amy K. Johnson, 07/22/2003