market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Guineas as insect control ?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Margaret <booldawgs AT cavenet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Guineas as insect control ?
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 11:54:43 -0700

Thanks for the comments. I am trying very hard to get ready to sell by next spring. The chickens do a lot of damage this time of the year when the garden is the only thing green, if they get in. The ducks are really bad now that the ponds are dry but in the spring they really destroy slugs. The market garden area will have better fencing (I hope) but the guineas are already starting to fly. They get good grain. Maybe I will plant a large patch of greens just for the poultry. Their bug control is worth the sacrifice and you can't beat the fresh eggs. They are all that I am selling now.
Margaret
Far Away Farm

chickens and guineas

This year for the first time, they attacked tomato and pepper plants when we set them out - I guess they were hungry for fresh green. We are getting one of those sonic noise critter control units to see if it keeps them out of an area and if that works, we'll get several and put them out wherever/whenever needed. Maybe we can use one to keep that one hen from getting on the desk and perching on the telephone?

Other than that, they are all great entertainment and the eggs pay for their grain.
Wendy
Akin Farm