market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Guineas as insect control ?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Windsoap AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Guineas as insect control ?
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 14:27:20 EDT

In a message dated 7/20/2003 1:34:03 AM Central Daylight Time, booldawgs AT cavenet.com writes:

chickens and guineas

We use a little "bullseye" for a localized major attack of squash bugs or aphids, but other than that, our chickens and guineas have rid us of a close-in grasshopper plague.  There are still hoppers out in the pastures and the far out fields, but almost none in the garden areas.  We let the babies out when they are just about 6 weeks old, big enough to find their way around.Chicks will follow mama and guineas flock.  We try to have them all up and close the gate to the bird pen at night.  The adult guineas and some of the chickens fly, so they come and go as they please.  Most spend the night in a big tree that's inside their pen.

This year for the first time, they attacked tomato and pepper plants when we set them out - I guess they were hungry for fresh green.   We are getting one of those sonic noise critter control units to see if it keeps them out of an area and if that works, we'll get several and put them out wherever/whenever  needed.  Maybe we can use one to keep that one hen from getting on the desk and perching on the telephone?

Other than that, they are all great entertainment and the eggs pay for their grain.
Wendy
Akin Farm