market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Guineas as insect control ?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Windsoap AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Guineas as insect control ?
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 14:32:13 EDT

In a message dated 7/20/2003 7:35:34 AM Central Daylight Time, lh AT pressroom.com writes:

>  How old are the guineas when they start bug patrol?

about the same age as when they start severely damaging your tomatoes

Not much damage at all to bigger plants.  You DO have to feed the birds good grain and they eat a lot of bugs.  In all the years we have been out here, I have seen ONE tomato hornworm.  I knocked it off and a baby chick grabbed it and ran!