market-farming - [Market-farming] Pregnant farmer

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Amy K. Johnson" <akjedj AT access4cheap.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Pregnant farmer
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 16:08:32 -0700

Yup, it's my first. I have a small CSA so trying to figure out what I can
physically handle is important. I'm sure next year will be off to a later
start, and I'll probably reduce the number of CSA memberships, which is bad
since I could easily increase the # due to demand. I'd really like to get
through the rest of this season without telling my CSA'ers that I'm preggo.

Maridian- You can't wait to do it at the "right time". There is no such
thing, and if ya wait too long, you'll find out that you're too old!
Although, if I could have scheduled such a thing, I would have gotten preggo
in April or May, so to have the baby in January or February. But I think
March 15th will do just fine for the birth.

I am the only one working on the farm, so maybe it's time to think about
getting an intern or other poorly paid worker with lots of on farm perks. I
do have a baby sister (10yrs old) who will help me a little bit.

I did find out that there is a test they can do to see if I've already had
toxoplasmosis. If I have, then there's no risk of it harming the baby. If I
haven't---- then I guess I have to stay out of the dirt? I only have one cat
and I've tried to teach her to not think of the garden as a potty- but cats
kinda do whatever they want.

I'd like to think that I am strong and healthy and can do whatever I want if
I feel like it, but sometimes you don't know when you've gone and done too
much. I had a miscarriage last year, and don't want to do anything that
might cause another one. I kind of decided to just guage how much I'm
exerting myself, and figure that as long as it isn't more than what seems to
be what a urban mommy-to-be might do as part of an exercise plan, I should
be OK. I put in 50 t-posts for tomato trellis today, no problem.

Thankfully there's no morning sickness yet.

Putting the family into my family farm,
Amy