market-farming - [Market-farming] Tips for pregnant farmers?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jim & Mary Conner <jmconner AT pwrtc.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Tips for pregnant farmers?
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 14:30:35 -0500

Hi Amy,

Well, I'm coming out of lurk mode here to answer your questions, at least on my observations. First, congrats on your pregnancy! As for me, well I am now in my 3rd trimester of my 3rd pregnancy, each one has been through the summer so I have always worked through my pregnancies in the field. My Ob/gyn has always told me that if it is something that you have done from the beginning, you can continue on throughout your pregnancy, unless something changes (ie:problems). He has also told me to keep hydrated, take frequent breaks as I progressed in my pregnancy, rest when needed, and also watch the heavy lifting and pulling as I got further along. Keeping hydrated has been the hardest for me at times, seems like I get more dehydrated while pregnant, and that is hard to pick up at times. And I have to say that as you progress in the pregnancy and get bigger, your body will tell you what you can and really cant do although working in the field and yard has kept me from gaining to much weight.

I have to say that with my first 2 babies I worked up to the end of each pregnancy and the bouncing back after having them has been great. Fast, no problems and (I think) easy for me and that is after c-sections with each of them. Now, this one is a little different. I didn't pay attention to what I was doing and ended up pulling a muscle right above my stomach, so now I am "on restrictions" while the muscle tries to heal. The doctor has pretty much told me that I have to limit my lifting and no more long hours in the garden. He has told my hubby that any long hours of harvesting and weed pulling is a no-no, so now it is up to him to keep up with it. Not easy for someone who works full time in town but he was raised on a farm and he is helping as best as he can. And not easy for me since I am so use to working out there.

I think the best advice is to continue on with what you normally do, but listen to what your body is telling you. It will tell you what it really shouldn't do and all. I don't know if this helps, but good luck and congrats again.

Mary C (mom of a 5 year old and a 22 month old)
Northern, IN