market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Floral mark-ups

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Floral mark-ups
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:51:09 -0500

We mark up 100% on the average.

We also have a floral advisor for weddings and other special events.  They charge for their expertise.  It's a consultation charge.  Flowers are still costed separately.  We do packages though and that is cost effective and easier for people trying to put together complicated events.  The fact is, we know all the local churches, funeral homes, hospitals, etc.  We know what is possible and what isn't for particular locations.  When prom time came around, you bet we had a sign out front to remind people we did those too.  Same for HS graduation.

I ordered a pink rose bouquet for my daughter's Senior Night and gee was it beautiful.  It's a tradition around here so that is something to think about.  What are your local floral traditions?

Personally, I think floral is easier than the perennial or annual business.  Outside of design (you better have someone with that sense) and basic maintenance for the length of the social event, there are no other long term issues for the product.  They are going to trash the product when the event is over.

This side of the business is about service and timeliness.  Oh, and sometimes about what is reasonable under different environmental conditions.  Sorry, gardenias in 90 degree weather aren't going to make it through the reception.

You screw up a wedding and you are going to hear about it forever through lost business.

Reminds me.  A couple years ago, as a market gardener I sold a corn wreath to an older gentleman whose daughter had passed away.  He said it reminded him of her and he wondered if the funeral home could display it.  I called the funeral home and we figured out how to hang the wreath near the casket.  That was new to me.  I never did that again because I never got such a request again.

It sounds odd but I sold a lot of wreaths to people who saw mine at the funeral.  I guess you'd say it was unusual.  I've watched the floral group do funeral sales.  It's kinda gut wrenching sometimes.  I know.  I ordered my father-in-laws flowers from our shop last March.  Even though I work there, they were as professional about it as they were with any customer.

Right down to the writing of the card that went with the flowers.  Those were ordered and delivered a half a country away.

And that's the other thing.  Are they connected into any web based floral ordering?

Del Williams
Clifton, IL