market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Perennial/Annual sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KTCopsey AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Perennial/Annual sales
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:32:23 EDT

Del
I think your insight is wonderful!  I have been selling herb plants for several years and each year change over from annuals and perennials to perennials and fresh cut around the start of July.  Mixed pots are definately a plus and sellthroughout the yr.  The few topiaries that Ihave done also sell fast.

However - I have to disagree with the not wanting to try something different - maybe herbs come under a different category, but I find several customers coming back week after week to get something new that no-one else has, or people starting theeir colllections and have researched a plant - I am probably the only place that they can get Rue, or Calamintha or costmary.  Yes. blooms to help with some sales, but the originality of the plant seems to be the key thing.  I also have the reputation that my things grow (as against the box store plants which are 50/50 in survivval).

I also like to talk to the customers - I will give them growing guidelines for the basi lthat they purchased elswhere.  If I can keep them there, it is to my advantage!
Katy
Living just one cornfield away from civilization