market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Perennial/Annual sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Perennial/Annual sales
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:28:23 -0500

Katy,

Just my 2 cents on it... but I think that being able to talk with customers and build a relationship with them is not only one of the best parts of retail, it's good for the business.  It sets up a human connection.  That is what distinguishes small business from big business.  (Although I have to say that Wal-Mart's idea of putting elderly employees who know gardening in their garden centers is pretty damn smart.)

We get a lot of young couples who come in to start planting around their first homes.  They don't know much about plants or planting and they usually have a kid or two in tow.  I usually take the kids inside and let them pick out an apple or a pear to eat while their parents wander around.  But I spend a lot of time talking to the adults about their home, where they are planting, what they have in mind.  (the kids go look at the goldfish pond...yep, we have one inside our main greenhouse... )

These young and ambitious proud homeowners are really into making their yards look nice.  So that extra conversation and getting to know their interests is very important.  Not just to make the sale, but to make sure their plants are planted properly and maintained.

Reminds me of some folks who came in with a grand plan.  I looked at it and said, OK, this is what you're in for.  Then, I said, our landscaper happens to be here today.  Could you hang around for a few minutes more while I ask him for his recommendations?  Sure.

So he put together a planting plan for them at no cost to them.  I sold them $300 worth of perennials and sent them to a competitor for some soil improvement amendments.  You know what I know? They'll Be Back.

Sure enough.  The husband came back to tell me how he screwed up one of the plantings.  Poor fellow.  He thought that once the plants were out of the pots and in the ground he couldn't move them again.  LOL.  Oh my.

This is where some respect for the customer comes into play.  This is not a stupid young man.  He is ignorant about plants and planting.  So, I show some respect for his intelligence and offer him some knowledge.

I suppose this is where the old teacher in me starts working.

In sales of perennials or annuals, fruits or vegetables, your knowledge is something to be shared.  It has value.  Sometimes you can charge for it.  As a market gardener, I could share what I knew about the use of herbs or vegetables in cooking, and in gardening.  I gave out lots of free recipes.

And isn't that what makes the difference between the supermarket and you?

Isn't that what makes the difference between the resellers and those of us who grew and used what we grew for our own lives?

If you are doing what you love, you can't help but share the wealth of knowledge you have acquired.  Customers seem to play into that zest for the same thing.

I think that very little of what I do is actually sales.  It's connecting with someone else's dream.

And if I'm dreaming, don't wake me up.  Otherwise, I'll figure this is nothing more than a job.

Del Williams
Clifton, IL