market-farming - [Market-farming] Farm update and thanks!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: IdleThymeFarm AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Farm update and thanks!
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:08:12 EDT

I just want to let everyone know how our farm is developing and say thanks for all the inspiration and knowledge you have shared. We are on a different planet than most of you! Our last freeze was just three weeks ago and our first farmers market is not for another three weeks! This makes for some challenging farming. We set up a booth last weekend at the Cheyenne Holistic Fair and offered 3 types of radishes, salad mix, fresh herbs, goat milk soap and herbal healing salve. We sold out of all the produce and people were begging for more. Our peas have just started to come in and soon we will have our first new potatoes! I am still growing salad greens in 90 degree heat between the rows of peas, I then hook the pea tendrils together and form a tent over the salad greens for shade! It is working wonderfully although I get strange looks on farm tours! We have completed all of our paperwork and inspection for organic certification and should receive our letter within the next few weeks making us the first certified veggie farm in Wyoming. I have been selling about 15 pounds of salad greens a week and I have two restaurants that want another 10+ pounds each. Any suggestions for keeping up that kind of production would be appreciated. We have also been processing about 50 pasture raised broilers every three weeks and they are sold out 2 weeks before processing at 2.25 per pound. Finally we are able to sell our geese at 5.50 per pound. I was able to tap into our local French community and apparently they appreciate farm fresh products. My eggs are bringing 2.50 per dozen.
We have a market of 50,000+ people within 20 minutes and very little competition. This brings the challenge of being able to produce enough to feed a hungry market! Any suggestions are appreciated and again thanks for all the knowledge and support!

Shelly Elliott
Idle Thyme Farm

www.IdleThymeFarm.com

If you would have a lovely garden, you should live a lovely life! ~ Shaker saying

  • [Market-farming] Farm update and thanks!, IdleThymeFarm, 07/15/2003