market-farming - [Market-farming] Packaging

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: dave.kathy AT att.net
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Packaging
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 03:03:32 +0000

>>I'm looking into selling packaged versions of some of my value-added
items<<

Maybe it would be a good idea to check local laws before packaging stuff.
Taking the briefing course for USDA-FNS's WIC FMNT program we were warned
that
here in Iowa, at least, you hit many extra labeling and health regulations if
you sell any produce in SEALED packages. I came away with the clear
impression
that I should never close a sack of lettuce or herbs or like that...

However, I do sell comb honey, which needs to be in a sealed box. Looking
into
the legal requirements for that, I learned the honey label needs three things
(only): the word "honey", the net weight, and my farm's name and address. So
it wasn't the big deal I'd imagined, after all...

Dave Campbell
Tiffin IA

  • [Market-farming] Packaging, dave . kathy, 07/14/2003