market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] pea prices

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Janet Bachmann <janetb AT ncat.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] pea prices
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 08:23:39 -0500

A note about peas: In northern states, the word peas means green peas in a green pod, the cool weather crop. In the South, I've heard people call these English peas, because in the South, the term peas means black-eyed peas, pink-eyed purple hull peas, crowder peas, lady peas, etc., a hot weather crop. Southern peas or cowpeas are terms that include all the 12 different types of these. If they are picked "green," they aren't necessarily green, but are immature, not dry. As a former Iowan now living in Arkansas, I grow and eat both, and have sold both at our farmers' market. I would never pre-shell the cool season peas, because I think they would loose quality too quickly. I don't remember what I charged. This year I sold sugar snap peas for $2/pint and snow peas for $1.50/pint. Our market owns a pea sheller that is set up for customers to use when vendors start bringing Southern peas to the market. I don't think it would work on the English peas.

Janet Bachmann
Riverbend Gardens