market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] insurance

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Hopkins" <rdhopkins AT americanpasturage.com>
  • To: "Steve Sando" <steve AT mrlucky.com>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] insurance
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 10:39:42 -0500

Why would one not want to ask an agent? A good independent agent is worth
shopping around for.

We carry a liability policy as a retailer of meats. We do not handle any of
the actual product as it is sealed when we pick it up from our processor, so
our liability is minimal. We would have to deliberately cause harm to be at
great risk.

After talking with agents and attorneys over the years, the bottom line is
that liability insurance is there to pay for your attorney in the event you
are sued by a customer. The insurance provides a buffer against your
personal assets which can still be at risk if you are found liable.

Rick