market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: newspaper mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: JaMaKaEnterprise AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: newspaper mulch
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 02:08:17 -0400

I started the newspaper mulch back in In. over 35 yrs agao when as a newlywed
my first garden was clay soil. My neighbors told me about organic gardening
and I turned that garden into black soil with in 7-8 years. I cleaned our
barns plus the neighbor's barns of manure added it to the garden. The
newspaper was put down as I planted but just in between the rows as the
ground warmed up more and the plants grew newspaper and manure was put around
the plants.
We are now in So. Ca and when I've been able to have a garden worked it the
same way. Last Dec. we took over the management of a 30 acre comm. peach
orchard and am in the process of researching how to turn it into an organic
orchard. I'm looking into other crops to raise to get a more diversed income
coming in. I've been collecting newspapers and shredded paper to use but all
will have to wait until Jully 22 when I return from Germany. I'm here on a
family medical emergency.
I also raise composting worms and use the castings in the garden I had
started and will be using compost tea on things when I get back.
MaryKay

  • [Market-farming] Re: newspaper mulch, JaMaKaEnterprise, 06/16/2003