market-farming - [Market-farming] Marie - tiller

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Pat Rupiper" <arupiper AT bright.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Marie - tiller
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 05:18:30 -0400

Hello everyone, I am from Southern Ohio and signed up from Johnnie's too. I am not certified organic but do grow without chemicals. I grow heirloom and gourmet vegetables and sell at the farmers market here. I am also a master gardener, so passing this list sight on is a good idea!
As to the tillers, we have a mantis, a troy built (big) and a 6 foot behind our 1965 tractor. The mantis is great for beds that have been worked up and are not compacted., it can not handle grassy roots, thick weeds, etc. I get stuff all cleaned up then put down 4-6 thicknesses of wet newspaper and straw over the top. It does a great job, the worms love it, and I can walk to harvest without the mud. (Very wet here!). As soon as the rains leave, we will bake. This helps keep the soil damp. I use soaker hoses. You might want to try this.
My weeds are growing faster than everything else! I might try that purslane yet.
Pat Rupiper

  • [Market-farming] Marie - tiller, Pat Rupiper, 06/16/2003