market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Organic spray for apple trees

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Organic spray for apple trees
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 17:55:24 -0400

Bt for the caterpillars and sulfur or compost tea for fungus. Spray
about every 4 to 6 days if you want fairly clean apples. if you don't
care about cosmetics than skip most of the fungal sprays. I also put 5
to 10 sticky traps per tree for all sorts of flying insects. I make them
with Tanglefoot™ and plastic bags. Cover the outside of a plastic bag
(the sleeves the newspaper comes is perfect-and free!) and hang it in
the tree so that it can be well seen and bugs will fly into it and
stick. Change as needed.

Sounds more like coddling moths than gypsy moths

Michael Phillips' "The Apple Grower" is a must have book for anyone
doing organic apples

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH
Check out the Boulder Belt website:
"There is no way to peace---peace is the way."
A.J. Muste