market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Sawdust...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Sawdust...
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 08:55:36 -0400

> That is a fact about the black walnut trees!! They give off a gas that
> is poisonous to anything. That is their way of survival so I have been
> told.

It's a myth that black walnut kills everything. The juglone it exudes is
only toxic to certain plants. My black walnuts all have various types of
weeds & grass growing under them due to excellent soil drainage (which is
one way to deal with the toxicity). As far as garden plants go, the
nightshade family is highly susceptible, but squash, melons, beans, carrots,
beets, onions, parsnips & corn are not. For some weird reason, pansies love
bw.

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC