market-farming - [Market-farming] Sawdust...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Courtney McLeod" <cmcleod AT imscompany.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Sawdust...
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 08:23:35 -0400

“About the rotten sawdust, the only thing I have heard is that if it isn't broken down enough the material can steal away your available nitrogen for a while.  Also, depending on the species of tree the sawdust was made from you might have some trouble?  For instance if it was black walnut saw dust.  The black walnut tree seems to give off a natural herbicide.”

That is a fact about the black walnut trees!!  They give off a gas that is poisonous to anything.  That is their way of survival so I have been told.  That is why, where there are black walnut trees, there are no other trees or plants growing around them.  It is kind of neat in a way but bad if you don’t know this fact and plant flowers around the tree’s like I tried years ago!!!  So I would make sure of what kind of saw dust it is and that it is old enough.

Courtney

Herb Thyme