market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] lettuce displays

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] lettuce displays
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 14:32:33 -0400

Liz,

I use baskets to display my lettuce. I line them with frozen packs of "liquid
ice" and cover these with contrasting (to the lettuce) colored towels. I
moisten the towels before setting up the display.

I grow different varieties of lettuce all through the season, so I had to come
up with a way to keep them fresh in the heat of summer. The real key is to
display only 4 or 5 heads at a time and constantly restock from cold storage.
built a plywood box, lined it with rigid styrofoam insulation and use a large
beach towel for a lid. Frozen gal. jugs of water keep it cold.

Any lettuce that starts looking wilted gets pulled and put in a plastic bag in
the cooler and comes home to be recrisped and eaten by the farmers.

The rain here goes on and on. I should have planted rice and watercress!!!

--
Alex McGregor
Walden Farm