market-farming - [Market-farming] lettuce displays

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] lettuce displays
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 07:05:53 -0400

Good Monday morning everyone! I wish I could send some of this rain to
those of you without. I'm so sick of it, can't do anything!! The hay
around here that grew so well in the very long cool, drought-over rainy
spring is now laying over because the farmers can't get it mowed and dried.
One farmer said it's his best crop ever...but can't get it into the
barn--arrgghh!!

I visited the Carrboro FM Sat (met Patrick Mulkey from the list--hey
Patrick!). Took lots of pics for the mf.com June issue on displays.
Several farms displayed their lettuce to sell in flattish wicker baskets.
While it made simply gorgeous centerpieces, I wondered if there was anything
lining the baskets to keep the lettuce fresh. Saturday was cool & misty, so
nothing was needed. I wondered if there's anyone else on this list who
sells like that, and what do you put in the baskets underneath, if anything
at all.

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC