market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: [Homestead-Work] Germination chamber?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: <Homestead-Work AT yahoogroups.com>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, <Organic_Gardening AT yahoogroups.com>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: [Homestead-Work] Germination chamber?
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 16:18:08 -0400

My guess is if it has no light requirement given it will germinate fairly
well regardless. The rule of thumb is seeds should be planted approx. twice
their size unless otherwise stated (ie sprinkle on top or light needed). So
one would think the bigger the seed the more darkness it would need. So big
seeds might benefit from hiding from the light but most small seeds no.

I caution not to make the process more difficult than necessary. In my
opinion germination is usually the easy part its caring for them so they
grow properly ie don't get leggy, don't dampen off etc. until one gets them
safely ha ha into the garden. Beth