market-farming - [Market-farming] Germination chamber?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rose and Fred Lieberman" <pyrite AT clarityconnect.com>
  • To: <Homestead-Work AT yahoogroups.com>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, <Organic_Gardening AT yahoogroups.com>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Germination chamber?
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 14:16:26 -0700

I accidentally discovered the wonders of germinating seed in the dark.

We went to Brooklyn over the Mother's Day weekend and in an effort to protect our plug trays from scorching greenhouse heat, we put our newly seeded trays in a dark place.  We returned two days later to multiple germinations!

QUESTIONS:
1.    Does anyone use a germination chamber?  If so, details, please?  If not, what do you do "light-wise" to germinate seed?

2.    When I put newly seeded trays in the greenhouse, am I shooting myself in the foot by not providing darkness?  And does that have an overall affect on the strength or vitality of the maturing plant?

3.    So, unless the catalog says "light required" or "light aids germination", I should provide real darkness to the germinating seeds?

Thanks,

Rose