market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Germination chamber?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Germination chamber?
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 14:32:03 -0400

When light is needed for germination the seed is sown on the media surface. I have found the easiest way to get max. germ is to place an empty plug tray upside down on top of the seeded tray. The drain holes in the plug tray provide all the sunlight the seeds will need without the danger of drying out or burning up the seeds. you must have bottom heat, this method works for me every time and as a bonus the plug tray keeps the mice out. For darkness I only apply a dusting to a 1/4 inch of vermiculite over the seeds then a plug tray on top... In the winter after covering trays I lay a sheet of clear plastic over the top to hold the heat and humidity in...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

Rose and Fred Lieberman wrote:

I accidentally discovered the wonders of germinating seed in the dark. We went to Brooklyn over the Mother's Day weekend and in an effort to protect our plug trays from scorching greenhouse heat, we put our newly seeded trays in a dark place.  We returned two days later to multiple germinations! QUESTIONS:1.    Does anyone use a germination chamber?  If so, details, please?  If not, what do you do "light-wise" to germinate seed? 2.    When I put newly seeded trays in the greenhouse, am I shooting myself in the foot by not providing darkness?  And does that have an overall affect on the strength or vitality of the maturing plant? 3.    So, unless the catalog says "light required" or "light aids germination", I should provide real darkness to the germinating seeds? Thanks, Rose