market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Indterminate vs determinate tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Indterminate vs determinate tomatoes
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 20:51:21 -0500

The problem with this kind of marketing research is that there isn't a full cross comparison.  Customers who have never tasted a Celebrity say that Beefmaster is just the best.  How would they know?

I hear it all.  Rutgers fans, Celebrity fans, Big Boy, Better Boy, Lemon Boy.  Jet Star!  But when you ask the specific question... how does this compare with that... most home gardeners or grocery buyers don't know.

When is the last time you went into a grocery store and the variety was listed?  They are sold as tomatoes on the vine, hydroponic, plum, or general... oh maybe, homegrown (ya right, in a major grocery store chain).  If it's a GMO tomato you can bet it's variety isn't going to be listed.

So, I await the grower tests that have some scientific validity and reliability.