market-farming - RE: Flea beetles (was Re: [Market-farming] Red in mesclun mix)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: Flea beetles (was Re: [Market-farming] Red in mesclun mix)
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 10:19:00 -0500

We have them all spring/summer, but not much pressure in the fall. There
has been some great work done with beneficial nematodes - introduced through
the irrigation. We don't sell enough greens to justify the cost in our
small operation. So, as long as lettuce satisfies our customers, we'll
leave the Oriental greens for winter growing when they do great with no
intervention.

Alison

> ----------
> From: Rose and Fred Lieberman[SMTP:pyrite AT clarityconnect.com]
>
> (Central NY, Zone 5)
>
> I'm suspecting a problem with flea beetles. What are some organic and/or
> mechanical ways to eliminate/discourage them? Does anyone use floating
> row
> covers?
>
> Also, are flea beetles there throughout the season or are they predominant
> in the front end, but late summer/fall plantings might escape them?
>
> I'm going to be growing a fair amount of oriental greens and these buggers
> are a concern to me.
>
> Rose
>

>From pyrite AT clarityconnect.com Mon Apr 21 11:28:32 2003
Alison said: "So, as long as lettuce satisfies our customers, we'll leave
the Oriental greens for winter growing when they do great with no
intervention."

That's probably what we'll end up doing, as well. But this is our first
year planting here, and although I have no reason to doubt their presence,
it will be experimental. But fall looks like the best time - you're right.

So, I'll just have to wait a few more month for wealth, eh?

Rose