market-farming - [Market-farming] Red in mesclun mix

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Adriana" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Red in mesclun mix
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 15:48:58 -0500

Allison,
I found in hot steamy Alabama and hot steamy Florida that I could
still keep mizuna, tatsoi, bull's blood beets and endive in the mix
without major insect challenges. Now the kales or komatsuna or
wrinkly cress - forget it!
>We also drop the "greens" from our mesclun mix, due to excessive
insect pressure.
> Carefully watch for caterpillars, you might have to spray with Bt
(Dipel).
> 1 early spray usually gives excellent control.

I find that double poly elimates most of the red in lettuces but
40-50% shade cloth with NO poly gives me some red, but nowhere near
the intensity of the red that you get when lettuce is grown outdoors.
A good variety for red in the greenhouse under poly AND shade cloth is
called Revolution (from Stokes Seed) It is EXPENSIVE and very
lightweight, but worth it for the frilly crunch and color. Dano from
Johnnys gives a pretty decent rust color. For lots of deep red color
contrast use Bull's Blood Beets.
>Also note that the heavier
> the percentage of shade, the more it will affect the red coloring in
your
> red lettuces. We used 50% shade and it eliminated almost all of the
red in
> our mix.

Adriana