market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] evaporative cooling in humid areas?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <bob AT akasha.net>
  • To: <woodduckfarm AT ev1.net>, "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] evaporative cooling in humid areas?
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 11:52:31 -0500

Evaporative cooling does not work well in the Houston or coastal area. If
you were in Lubbock in the high plains where there is little moisture in the
air it works well. Even in the Dallas/Ft. Worth are you will not see much of
that. Look on the houses and how many have evaporative squirrel cage type
blowers? I have a large ware house in Ft. Worth and in the Summer if you
have an evaporative fan (large commercial) it will provide a small amount of
comfort to those people working in an area of about 10 feet. Past that it is
worse than if you had a fan at all because the added moisture conducts the
heat better than the dryer air. Just a few thoughts, venting the top, pull
air from the lowest and coolest shade point ?
Bob C

-----

Considering the installation of an evaporative cooling system for a 48' x 3O
'propagaton house.

My local GH equipment supplier gave me a price of about $23OO for two
exhaust fans, the EC system and pads. He said I should expect a 1O to 12 F
degree differential.

Curious to ask those of you with EC systems in hot humid areas, what type of
temp. differentials have you experienced during the July/August timeframes?

Do you get the same amount of temp. drawdown at night as well, i.e. when it
is 71 outside, can I expect the low 6O's in the EC greenhouse?

Any thoughts on no EC system, just 2 good exhaust fans, along with HAF fans,
and shade cloth?

FYI I live about 45 miles north of humid Houston.

Thanks,

Van