market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Roll-up sides on greenhouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jeanne Driese <jeanne AT xtn.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Roll-up sides on greenhouse
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 05:58:57 -0400

Hi,

We have a hoophouse which is 14 feet wide by 44 feet long. This is the 3rd season of use. About 2 1/2 feet up from the ground is a wooden one by two that runs the entire length of the greenhouse. At each metal hoop we have put a screw into the wood slat, this goes through the plastic from the outside, leaving a portion of the screw stick out so it will hold a piece of twine.
First the twine is tied around each metal hoop and left long enough to go around the rolled up plastic and hook onto the screw head. We have used this without any damage occurring to the plastic. Our house is double plastic down to the wood 1x2 so it can be inflated. I hope my description is understandable!!! It is a simple idea that has worked very well for us. It takes about 5 minutes to roll up and secure the two sides.
Amy K. Johnson wrote:

My question is: Should we use the old curtains for the roll-up sides on our
hoophouse or can we use greenhouse plastic? Does greenhouse plastic stand up
to the stress of being rolled up and down? The curtains for our new
hoophouse would be about 3ft high by 48ft long on a hoophouse 12x48ft.

Jeanne in NE Tennessee
In my next life I'm going to have more memory installed!
mailto:jeanne AT xtn.net