market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Hoophouse rain run-off

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Hoophouse rain run-off
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 07:01:08 -0400

Your greenhouse will create runoff of about 2000 gallons from a one inch downpore, if your soils are well drained that amount of water should not be a problem, folks on hardpan clay soils build a depression at the low end of the greenhouse lot planted to grass to collect runoff...Bob.

What about on the high side? My houses, which I just inherited, are on a slope Run-off has become run-in. I'm not even sure trenching will solve the problem, but I know it will weaken the structure. I'm actually thinking 'guttering.' Anyone seen that done? I imagine gutter at the roll up board. Just don't know if I can get it tight enough to be effective. Comments?

Thanks

-Allan