market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Rolling Dibbles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pam AT twinoaks.org
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Rolling Dibbles
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 14:00:15 -0400

Sandra,
I started to make a rolling dibble, following the
HFHP tip sheet, but it remains unfinished in the shed.
Part way through I realised I'd bought a 4' drum (pipe),
but made a handle for a 3' drum! Althought the
instructions say you can make whatever width you like,
you need to read between the lines to buy and make
enough scoops, and enough handle so the whole thing
fits together!
In frustration I emailed the writer of the article and
he responded that nowadays they recommend making
a metal handle and a design where the handle can be
reversed over the drum, lifting it off the ground, to roll to
the field. I have not given up, but temporarily run out of
steam to fix the half-wrong theing I have got.
About the scoops - diagonally sawing a 4" length
of pipe makes a pretty small scoop. I wouldn't go down
to 3".
We've been using 12" measuring sticks for years,
and I think a dibble drum will be an improvement,
keeping the rows evenly spaced. An easier alternative
might be a multiple-row marking tool like a heavy duty
rake, followed by the plant-to-plant measuring sticks.
Pam Dawling
Twin Oaks, Virginia
> Has anyone on the list seen, used or made a rolling dibble marker drum
> for transplant spacing, as described on a Wisconsin Healthy Farmers,
> Healthy Profits Project website (http://bse.wisc.edu/hfhp) Work
> Efficiency Tip Sheet?
>
> This looks like a great improvement over using knotted string, marker
> sticks or boards, or eye measurements. As I have literally thousands
> of transplants to set out this spring, anything I can do to speed up
> the marking and transplanting process would be very useful!
>
> I am getting ready to construct such a tool and wondered about the
> length of the dibbles or scoops. The instructions state to cut 2" PVC
> pipe into 4" long sections and then cut those diagonally in half at a
> 45 degree angle.
>
> My question is why 4" long? Would 3" work as well or better?
>
> I am planning on using Sched 40 PVC piping, as that seems like it
> would stand up better to the rigors of rolling and use.

  • [Market-farming] Re: Rolling Dibbles, pam, 04/08/2003